Sunday, February 20, 2011

Comedy Etiquette



I have watched live stand up comedy since I was 17 and saw my first show at Yuk Yuk's in Edmonton.  I have been hooked ever since.  I even tried stand up when I was younger, but soon quit because lord it is scary.  I have been doing it slowly for a year now on amateur stages, and love it, but it is no less scary.  Now I have more life experience though to make fun of.  I don't' write jokes, I just stand there and people laugh at my life experiences, well that is the goal, sometimes they form tears and are worried for me and my family :)


Comedy has changed much over those 19 years.  There are still comedy clubs, but many consider YouTube a good substitution.  (it is not people, go to a show and see for yourselves)  19 years ago the landscape was different, especially for women.  Overall what was shock comedy at that time is pretty common place now.  Today, racism and extreme sexism is not really as acceptable, unless done by a genius writer who is more poking fun at racists and jerks.  Today, I think the good comics must have strong writing skills.  They must be intelligent, and witty word smiths.  This is demonstrated in much of the local talent.  One of the darkest comedians I know in the city (Dave McConnell) is careful about words he uses, and has whittled them down to a craft to get maximum laughs per set.  Many other comics exist, right here in Ottawa, and I am always drawn more to their writing than their performances.  Others may disagree, but whatever, get your own blog :)


One other change in the comedy scene is the advent of cellphones, texting machines, and other wireless things I do not know about.  (i seriously do not have a cellphone outside the one my work makes me have so they can get hold of me 24/7, but i don't use it personally)  What audiences are doing now is bringing these machines into the comedy club and using them while the performers are on stage.  Some of you may say "but Jenn, this is a problem all over, it is annoying when they do this during movies too, why is comedy special?.  I can only say that yes, I get exceptionally annoyed with people in movie theatres who bring out these devices, but in comedy you are dealing with live people.  If watching Gone with the Wind, and the person in front of you brings out a very distracting cell phone, Rhett Butler is not going to lose concentration and stop kissing Scarlet O'Hara (if you don't get this reference, look it up, I am not providing a second one).  In a comedy club, when you bring out the devices, you may stop the comedian's train of thought or momentum, which ruins it for EVERYBODY.  Comedians do an amazing amount of work to get this material ready for you, you paid money to get in, so put the cellphone away, and enjoy the show.  No good can come from it otherwise, and you are likely to gain the contempt of the comedian, and NO good can come from that.


So we all agree that texting machines are bad etiquette in a comedy club.  Etiquette tip number two, and this one is important: if you enjoy what you are hearing, and think it is funny, feel free to laugh OUT LOUD.  I have watched many people raving about the comedian when the show is complete, but they made no noise at all during the show.  Our society, and I will say especially government town, seems to be quiet and shy at the best of times.  If you are at home, watching television and hear something funny, I bet you laugh out loud.  When in public, you may shy away from bringing attention to your laugh, maybe it is loud, you snort or otherwise.  I will agree that maybe when you are watching a play about AIDS and burst out laughing, perhaps it is not the best thing (but seriously everytime i hear them sing those horrible songs in RENT, i laugh a little inside).  Ideally you will cry at AIDS shows, and laugh at comedy shows.  There is nowhere in the world where it is more acceptable to drink, let loose and LAUGH!  Comedians feed off your energy, and the more energy you provide the more energy they will give back.  So that show you raved about could have been that much better if you had expressed said appreciation.


Thirdly, and very importantly, don't heckle.  I can't stress this enough people.  I took my boss to a comedy show last year, and found out she was the worst heckler I haver ever known.  One of my favourite comics had enough and yelled "just shut the eff up".  She was so mad, and said to me "it's just part of the show, they should learn to manage it".  No, listening to your comments about their jokes is NOT part of the show.  There are times when the comedian making fun of you is hilarious, but that is NOT their job.  It is your job to come and listen to the professionals (this is their living and they are on that stage because they are great at what they do) and their job is to entertain you.  I asked my boss how she would feel if, while giving a presentation to 200 people someone kept interuppting her and interjecting their opinions.  Let me tell you I have seen this happen, and she does not like it at all, and neither do comics, so keep your voice for laughing, otherwise keep quiet.


These are what I think the main etiquette issues are.  I think if I had to add a few it would be show up on time, don't drink four bottles of wine before you come to the show, and groupies, well you are on your own, but protect yourself!   I am sure there are more advice that professional comedians can add (and hopefully as more of them guest blog you will get to hear their opinions!), but for now, do these three and everyone will have a great show.


Don't let these three "rules" get you worried about coming to a show.  Stand up comedy is an amazing art form that can only truly be enjoyed live.  I think society is forgetting about it, and choosing to stay home and watch movies, and they are missing out.  Get out today to see why JH5 staff and members are so excited about comedy, all the while supporting local comedy.  Tom Green, Jon Dore, and Norm MacDonald all got their start here in Ottawa, and people can see "i remember seeing them....".  Come today and you will see the next superstars.  Hurry up, but leave the texty machine at home!


Jenn
JH2

No comments: