Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Men of Comedy: Guest Blogger Jenn

Well, I am not a male but have size 11 feet so I will do for today.  I had expected a blog entry, but with writing for the big Ottawa roast tomorrow, people may have lost track of time.  So today you are stuck with moi!


To keep with the theme, I will talk about men, and comedy.  Last time I posted for Men of Comedy segment, I listed JH5's Top Ten Male Comedians.  This week I will do another top ten list, and was torn between the best looking male comics, and the nicest.  Being a feminist, I am pretty sure I am not going to subscribe to the top ten sexiest male comics (they know who they are anyways).  So, the day before the Ottawa roast, let me tell you about 10 nice fellows.  I will also ad that I have to like their comedy, so there are others who are nice but I am not a fan of their art.  Hope that's clear, so someone who is nice to me wondering why they did not make this list, it is either because there are those nicer than you, or I am not a fan.  (or I can't remember your name, that happens too)


Why am I outlining nice people?  Partly it is in good fun and no one should take it too seriously; however, the other part has a valid and decent point.  Comedy brings out a plethora of different types of personalities. In comedy, for the first year there are those who are nice right from the top, those who ignore you, and those who are actually rude.  In the first year you cannot take anything to heart.  Those who ignore you may be nice people, but they may be shy, they may believe you have to earn your stripes etc. etc.  Those who are nice may actually be over the top, and insincere.  I won't lie, since I started hiring acts people are nicer to me.  This doesn't mean they weren't nice to begin with, but some take it to the extreme and are pretty transparent.  Then those who are rude, those are the sneaky ones.  They may actually be trying to help.  One comedian loves to give newbies pointers and based on this person's experience in comedy, it is quite nice of them; however, it comes off as criticism.  So those who seem rude may actually be the nice ones!


To talk about nice people, I am talking about people that in my mind seem genuine in who they are, are nice but not over the top, and these are the people you want to hire.  Real people.  Genuine people.  Yes, of course they have to be talented, but realistically if you have two comics of the same basic levels of comedy, and one you know will create drama and be negative, and one will come do their comedy and are pleasant throughout, which one do you think people will hire?   Be who you are, and let the chips lie where they may.  The ten we have listed are those we enjoy their comedy, but also enjoy them as people.  I will caveat that if this was open for both genders, women would out do the men 20-1, and I don't know why this is.  If I had to label the nicest person in comedy, it is without a doubt Wendi Reed.  


10) Nick Carter -  I cannot say I was a fan  when i first met him on the Ottawa Comedy Resource, as he (rightly so) called me out on my ignorance of comedy booking with a mean (but really hilarious) satire about his dead grandma.  In person though, no one can make me laugh like he does, he is just silly at times!  I am sure he has his bad moments, but overall I see a good heart, a great comedian, and the combination of the two is a great mix!


9)  Alex Wood - Always found with the loudest laugh in the room, Wood was the first person who said "good set".  He has a kind word, encouragement before one goes on, and always reminds us to "have fun out there".  He also has cheeks that one wants to pinch, so the mom in me comes out when around him.  Above his niceness, he is funny, and one of my faves in the city.  


8)  Dylan Gott - I have only met him once while being the door girl at a comedy club, but his set was funny, but he could be one of the nicest people I have met!  He would likely have made it higher up the list, but as I only met him once, time will tell!


7)  Jim Robinson -  A retired civil servant from Ottawa, Robinson is one of the nicest people I have ever met in my life.  Period.


6)  Oliver Gross - Gross ran the Raw Talent Tuesdays and always had good constructive advice for us newbies.  "For the love of god, slow down", and "what's the worst that could happen" were two regular comments.  He is liked by most of the comedy scene, and has a good joke on "Jesus Juice" so he made the list.


5)  Julien Dionne - Nice fellow this young blond one.  Never had a bad thing to say about anyone, and he is funny.  Really funny.


4)  Josh Williams - He runs the Open Mic Mondays and is always nice to help a new comic out, give feedback (done in a nice way), and his humour is quite fun!


3) Don Kelly - Everyone knows Don Kelly is nice, there is not much more to say, except come to Don Kelly and Friends on June 11 at the Bronson Centre!


2)  Mark Forward - I had seen his comedy long before I met him, and he is fun, gracious, nice, and even when being "mean", he is lovely.  He is also our favourite male comic, and I am not sure anyone could change our minds on this, and this mix of niceness and amazing talent, this comic is headed for greatness.


1)  Graham Chittenden - One of the best comedy writers I know, he is also nice. In fact, he is nice enough to give free muffins for his fans!  Even when he stands people up for chicken wings, he is so nice about it, you just forget the whole thing :)  I defy anyone who has met him to say a mean thing about him.  He is that nice!


After writing this I see this column for what it is:  pure filler!  Whatever, if you want better columns encourage your favourite male comics to blog for us!  Always remember that niceness is in the eye of the beholder.  There are people out there would label me as a nice person; in fact I hope many people would.  there are those though who have a "B" word and a "C" word for me as well!  So take this list for what it is, one woman's attempt to highlight people who have made a different in comedy, and have done it with a genuinely pleasing personality. 


Next post will be Friday where I talk in general terms about the Ottawa Comedy Roast.  (from my world view, I will not be recapping what people do)


Until then, all my relations,
jenn hayward
JH2 of JH5


Quick edit:  We forgot Darcy Michael, who would be in the top four for sure!

No comments: