Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Men of Comedy: Men and Deadlines

I admit the title of this blog holds a bit of sarcasm and good natured ribbing.  Many  men are "writing their guest blog pieces" as we speak; however, none have arrived today.  I don't think this is a man vs. woman type of thing, just an artist's zen for procrastination, and the low pay that JH5 provides!

Nonetheless I am committed to bringing you a blog about men in comedy each week (or each bi-week for some if we are very busy).  Today's topic is....is....wait, do I have this writer's block as well?  Oh dear, I think I will discuss...man, this never happens.  

Okay, best on my easily distracted mind is three mini topics:
  1. Best comedy line/experience I have heard this month
  2. My son the comedian
  3. First MC experience
Woo, journalistic literature I've got going on here, I sure hope some men step up soon!   Carrying on....

Comedy

I have seen some good comedy this month, mostly local.  As Ottawa had it's annual comedy roast two weeks ago, and we produced two shows last week, I have not had time to get out there and just enjoy the clubs as much.  I do have two stories I that stand out.  

The first is with Dylan Gott.  I met Gott at the Prescott, and he was one hour early.  That is pretty much unheard of in comedy!  Gott and I chatted it up (gosh look at my name dropping here) and I told him about our Top Ten Men of Comedy.  He spent the rest of the evening teasing me about wanting to make it on the list!  He said "come watch my comedy and then see".  *Caveat, it was all in good humour, I do not want people thinking he is some kind of narcissistic person (except he of course is a comic).  I watched his comedy and he came out with a huge smile and said "so?".  I looked at him and said, um, yeah, that was good.  (it was)  He said "top ten good"?  I said no.  :)  His face did fall, but I said to make JH5's top ten, both my husband and I have to have seen the person.  Plus, in one joke he says a word that just makes me want to vomit, but that doesn't take away from his funny!   He says next time I watch him (of which I am to bring hubby that he will not use that word, so I have now accidentally censored art!!!) He smiled, kept the joke up, and made our "Top Ten Nicest Male Comedians", and I will reiterate that he is very funny!

The second amusing event was with Nick Carter.  Nick stole the show at the JH5 Political Comedy Night on April 28th.  All comics were good, but he  shined.  Too bad more people didn't come out to watch though!  (not our best attended event, but a success in all the places that count, good comedy for a crowd who thoroughly enjoyed it).  Carter's parents were in the audience, (how sweet) and he started out saying to the crowd "I have to tell you, I  vote conservative" (or I am conservative but you get the point and apparently his mom said "no you aren't!".  This story makes me smile and reminds me of a time my mom got drunk and heckled one of the male comedians way back in the day.  Good times, but honestly, Carter shined that night, and may have increased his standings on our top ten!

Kids Comedy

I rarely pull out the mom stories, but I had to share that every day my eight year old takes a joke to school, tells the class, and gets paid in gummy worms.  Given this is as much pay as most comedians get, there is now a waiting list from Ottawa comedians to get this gig!

Don't like this story, well hopefully our male bloggers will step up and get their submissions in, and then no more mommy stories.  I know you could stop reading, but you have come this far, perhaps just to see if your favourite was mentioned, or because you are a true JH5 fan, through thick and thin, great blogs and....well this!  

First MC Experience

I decided to try hosting a room.  Although I feel I am not ready, I have seen others who I so don't think should be doing it hosting, so why not jenn?  What do I have to lose but all my self confidence? :)


 I am more than excellent at promoting others, but feel I am realistic about who I am as a comic.  I cannot network like others, cannot always get to phone in times (today I was in a staff meeting), and am not on a lot of people's radar for comedy.  That said, I do okay, and want to give this a try.  I am going to host at Atomic Rooster on May 17th.  We had this scheduled for a long time now, although part of me thought I might chicken out and ask one of the boys to do it.  Then I remembered that I got in this whole thing to perform comedy, JH5 and all the rest came as a result, but performing is why I got myself into this crazy world of comedy to begin with!


So I am going to do it, and have secretly put some of my favourite's like  Matt Carter, Matt Watson, Alex Wood, Peter Gunstra, and that other guy (The other guy being four time medal winner at this year's Ottawa Comedy Roast!) on the lineup so if I suck, they can hold the quality up! Kidding, I will not suck!  I may not be great, but I will not suck!  If it is successful, we will make it monthly, and be my place to get a spot as my boss has put staff meetings during pretty much every call in!  I guess we have to make our own opportunities, and as this is an open mic, it may as well be me.

I am thrilled to have wasted your time this evening.  I am certain I will not have writers block by Sunday, and already having a story that will be released!  (timing is everything folks).  Be sure to check on past blogs that are much more fantastic than this, comment, join our proboards, like us on facebook, click our twitter (but not too hard boys) and well, thanks for all your continued support.  We will keep supporting comedy, keep up the blog and get more writers.  This Sunday we will begin a contest, so check back for that!


jenn h.
jh1

No comments: