Saturday, July 23, 2011

Jenn's Thoughts: What doth make a hack?

People write jokes about a multitude of subjects.  Mostly about sex, but still, a lot of other subjects come up.  I was on an amateur show once (like I am ever on any other kind!) and did a short joke on sex life after 11 years of marriage.  During that same show, three other comics did very similar jokes about sex after three year's of marriage.  Wait a minute................am...............I.............a...............hack???  But mine was original!!!!!  I talked about ENJOYING sex after 11 years!  Please don't tell me I'm a hack, oh dear, all that time writing and all I come up with is the same thing other boring married people come up with?   The point here people is don't get married...I mean I love you Joshy Woshy.............


What is a hack?  The word "hack" is derived from the British term "hackneyed" meaning, "over used and thus cheapened, or trite".  Hacks are well known in the comedy community for either doing old stale jokes, or in some cases such as that famous dude, Mr. Cook, steal them.  Quick interesting side note:  I saw an old clip growing up of a very young Chris Rock doing material verbatim from Eddie Murphy Raw.  VERBATIM.  At a young age I knew that was wrong.  Obviously he found his own way, but even someone as funny as he (okay I don't really think he is that funny, but many other's do) was a hack to begin with.


In this example of overused jokes such as sex life, they say it becomes less hacky if you have an original twist on it.  Other hacky type topics are "I am half this ethnicity and half that ethnicity", "wow, IKEA instructions sure are silly", and "Costco:  they make you buy big stuff.".  Interesting note:  some of my fave locals and travelling comedians have jokes I really like on these subjects, so maybe they are not hacky as they have an original take on it.  Shockingly, I have two jokes out of the three topics.  Such a  hack.  Thank god for my original jokes about adoption, and my vagina!  Oh wait, vagina might come under hack material too!  Oh dear (fretting now............)


Let's get to the point.  Maybe these jokes are overused because many comics base their jokes on their lives and witty observations.  There is nothing wrong with this; however, perhaps the problem is that WE ALL HAVE THE SAME BORING ASS LIVES!  Maybe we need to live a little bit!  I would never, in a million years, have a joke about circle jerking,  Bukakki, Cleveland Steamers, or other potential disgusting acts.  Those people have LIVED; disgustingly so, but they have lived.  


The other way to get around this hum drum of boring hackery is to get outside your head and write about stuff you know nothing about.  Some of the best jokes are stuff that people just thought might be funny.  Observational comedy about a Baby on Board sign has me laughing when Geoff Mackay hits the stage.  Full performance art comedy has me in stitches every time Trevor Thompson mentions the "hippie LADY", and Matt Carter deadpans on how gay he looks.  They take things that other people are not doing, and make it funny.


None of my jokes are based on fiction; everything I say has some truth to it, from dogs resenting me during a dogsled ride, to how pleasurable I find PAP's, there is some truth, or irony in them.  I have lived a life that I could get quite a bit of material from, but am scared to get out and try something new.  As a relative newbie, I enjoy the small comforts of talking about foreplay with my husband as I know they will usually get a laugh from an audience who might be able to relate.  I enjoy the easy life  at times, what can I say.  


I am committing here and now to write more jokes that fall out of the hack aka comfort zone.  They may not be funny and they may take time to develop, but if I actually want to move forward in my comedy then something needs to change, so who's with me?  Who is committing to get rid of tired material that everyone has heard before?  Who longs to be as witty as Nick Carter, or as mother freaking awesome as Alex Wood.  (not many can)


I do comedy for an outlet for my insane life, but want this outlet to be hack free.  I have no idea where to start, but am excited to begin..............................


And for God sakes people, PLEASE, for the love of God, I don't care about your testicles just as much as you don't care about my vagina, so let's all call truce, okay?


J. Hayward
JH5

No comments: